The Governor’s Training Initiative (GTI) is a joint program of the Maine Department of Labor and the Maine Department of Economic and Community Development. GTI can provide financial assistance for training new employees and/or retraining current workers with innovative, non-routine training.
To Qualify you must:
- Be a Maine private sector employer
- Provide a post training wage equal to 85% of the average wage for the given occupation in the labor market area where the business is located.
- Contribute at least 50% of the premium cost of employee health insurance, unless business is less than 3 years old and has fewer than 25 employees.
- Commit to long-term operation in Maine
Training Services Eligible for Reimbursement:
- High performance skills training
- Technical training
- On-the-job training
- Workplace safety
- Training needs assessment
- Job task analysis
- Workplace literacy
- Higher education not covered by tuition re-imbursement
Contact: Maine Department of Labor, 207-623-7981.
Maine Quality Centers (MQC) Program:
The mission of the Maine Quality Centers is to encourage businesses to locate or expand operations in Maine by providing customized workforce training at no cost to the business or to trainees. These training and education programs are coordinated and delivered through Maine’s seven community colleges. The MQC program is designed to ensure that businesses have a qualified pool of workers with the skills and knowledge the business needs. Staff will work with businesses to design a customized training program that delivers the training when needed and where needed.
What MQC Offers:
- Recruitment, screening, and training at no cost.
- Assistance in identifying specific workforce needs.
- Training delivered on site, on campus, or at a convenient location.
- For small companies, the opportunity to form workforce partnerships with other companies with similar needs.
What Sets MQC Apart:
- Qualified, experienced instructors.
- Flexible scheduling---days, evenings, weekends.
- Access to community college conference facilities, labs, and equipment.
- Relationships with other state program providers.
- Training that leads to college credit and degree attainment, if desired.
- State-wide delivery network that makes it possible to deliver programs at multiple locations.
- A long term relationship---a workforce partner as business grows.
- Service that is guaranteed---MQC stands behind its services and programs.
Contact: Maine Quality Centers, 207-767-5210 ext. 4107